The Residence Programme Rules confer a special tax status to EU/EEA/Swiss nationals upon satisfying certain conditions including:
- acquiring a property for not less than €275,000 or renting property for not less than €9,600 per annum. Should the property be situated in Gozo or in the South of Malta, the purchase value should not be less than €220,000 and the rental value should not be less than €8,750 per year.
- must be in receipt of stable and regular resources
- must hold adequate health insurance covering the EU territory
- must satisfy a “fit and proper test” in order to be granted a permit under this Programme
- Applicants may not spend more than 183 days in any other one foreign jurisdiction.
A 15 per cent rate of tax is charged in respect of foreign income remitted to Malta, with the possibility of claiming double tax relief. The minimum annual tax stands at €15,000 after claiming any applicable double tax relief. A one-time registration fee amounting to €6,000 is levied by the Malta Government.
Upon being granted this tax status, one would be in a position to apply for the residence card.
An application under this programme may only be submitted through an Authorised Registered Mandatory. M. Meilak & Associates is an Authorised Registered Mandatory and, may assist you with your application and with any immigration, tax and legal requirements.